1 Thessalonians 1:8 – 2:8
– The Church at Thessalonica was under Pressure and Living through Tough Times. That said,
those there were Growing, had the Joy of the Lord and were Proclaiming Christ Everywhere
1 Thess 1:6,7 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in
much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, 7 so that you became an example
to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. 8 For not only has the Word of
the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God
has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything.
– The Church in Thessalonica was Spreading God’s Word Everywhere. This is done through both
Individuals from the Church and by the Church as a Group… Is this us?
1 Thes 1:9 For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among
you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God…
– Some Say that “People Never Change” …
– But God Changes Lives Every Day!
– Do we have this as an Attitude?
– Do we Trust that God can and does Change Lives Every Day?
1 Thes1:9b,10 … you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 10 and to wait
for his Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us
from the wrath to come.
– Jesus has Delivered us from the Wrath to Come…
Isaiah 53:5 But He was pierced for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities;
upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with His wounds we
1 Thes 2:1,2 For you yourselves know, brothers, that our coming to you was not in vain. 2 But
though we had already suffered and been shamefully treated at Philippi, as you
know, we had boldness in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in the
midst of much conflict.
– Where did Paul’s “Boldness in God” Come From?
– God’s Grace as He moved Paul to Dwell on the Lord and not his Circumstances…
Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any
excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
– For Your Consideration…
– What prepares a heart Better for Service and Love – Dwelling on the Circumstances of
the World or Dwelling on the Things of God?
1 Thes 2:3,4 For our appeal does not spring from error or impurity or any attempt to
deceive, 4 but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the
gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.
– Our Appeal is not to Please Men, but to Please God. Our Primary Concern in Sharing the
Excellencies of God is to be Truthful to the Word and Please God. We are not to be “People
Pleasers” but rather are to have a desire to Please the Lord…
– Some Considerations…
– We should not change the Scriptures because it offends someone
– We should not skip difficult Biblical Realities because it might offend someone
– We should not gear the Message to meet what we think the other person wants to hear…
– This does Not Mean we Care Less About the People
– We should care deeply that they hear the truth – not what they want to hear…
– We should teach Truth Proclaimed in Love and Gentleness
1 Thes 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up
Eph 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for
building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
1 Thes 2:5-7 For we never came with words of flattery, as you know, nor with a pretext for
greed—God is witness. 6 Nor did we seek glory from people, whether from you
or from others, though we could have made demands as apostles of Christ. 7 But
we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own
– What are our Goals in Sharing Christ?
Rom 15:5,6 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony
with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, 6 that together you may with one
voice declare the glory of the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Thes 2:8 So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not
only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very
dear to us.
– For Your Consideration…
– We need to Sacrificially Give of Ourselves to Others…
– Being a Faithful Bride of Christ is More than sharing His Excellencies with others, it has
as well Giving of Self to Them…
How do we Give Self to Others?
Phil 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of
– God changes lives everyday – and often uses the ministry of His People as means of
Grace to do so…
– Dwelling on the Things of God and not the things of the world or our circumstances best
Prepares us to Serve…
– Our Primary Concern in Sharing the Excellencies of God is to be Truthful to the Word
and Please God
– our Ministry to Others must be designed to Bless and Encourage them…