1 Thessalonians 2:9-20
Phil 2:13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.
– All the Good in Us is Caused by Grace at Work in us, yet that Grace at Work in Us Causes us to
Work, to Exert Effort and to Actively Serve…
1 Thes 2:9,10 For you remember, brothers, our labor and toil: we worked night and day, that we
might not be a burden to any of you, while we proclaimed to you the gospel of
God. 10 You are witnesses, and God also, how holy and righteous and blameless
was our conduct toward you believers.
– Can our Conduct & Attitude Work Against our Testimony for the Lord?
Can we be a Stumbling Block?
Is there Value in Praying that the Lord Protect those around us from being a Stumbling Block?
1 Thes 2:11,12 For you know how, like a father with his children, 12 we exhorted each one of
you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of
God, who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.
– What should be the Goal of our Testimony Towards Other Believers?
– to Proclaim the Glory of God (w/o being a stumbling block) & to Bless & Encourage
– Next we See that in All this, Paul Continuously Uses God’s Word as the Focal Point of All His
1 Thes 2:13 And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the Word of
God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as
what it really is, the Word of God, which is at work in you believers.
– The People are Embracing the Word and the Grace of God in Paul Moves him to Thank the Lord
for this and Celebrate with the People the Lord’s Grace in Their Lives…
– How is the Word of God Alive?
– God’s Word – in the power of God the Holy Spirit in Us – Accomplishes exactly what
Isaiah 55:11 My word that proceeds from My mouth will not return to Me empty, but it will
accomplish what I please, and it will prosper where I send it
– Not Only is God’s Word Alive, But by God’s Grace, the Blessings that Flow form God’s Word to
One Person Often Spreads onto and Blesses Others. God’s Grace in His hands is Contagious…
1 Thes 2:14,15 For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that
are in Judea. For you suffered the same things from your own countrymen as
they did from the Jews, 15 who killed both the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and
drove us out, and displease God and oppose all mankind…
1 Thes 2:16,17 by hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles that they might be saved—so as
always to fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them at last!
17 But since we were torn away from you, brothers, for a short time, in person
not in heart, we endeavored the more eagerly and with great desire to see you
face to face,
– Is there Opposition to God’s Plans at Work in the World?
– The sin of Men – both Believer and Nonbeliever alike
– Spiritual Warfare…
1 Thes 2:18-20 we wanted to come to you—I, Paul, again and again—but Satan hindered
us. 19 For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at
His coming? Is it not you? 20 For you are our glory and joy.
– Can Anything Thwart God’s Plan?
– The opposition to God’s plans is part of God’s plan.
– He controls even those forces that oppose Him!
Job 42:2 I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
The Take-home Message
– Even though it is Entirely God at Work in us as we Serve and Minister, we are Active,
Laboring and Exerting Energy
– Our Conduct & Our Attitude can work against God’s testimony through us…
– we should Pray for others to be protected from our Sin
– The Goal of our testimony is to Proclaim the Glory of God (w/o being a stumbling block)
and thus to Bless & Encourage Others
– God’s grace can be Contagious, Working from Person-to-Person, One Relationship at a
– the sin of Men – both Believer and Nonbeliever alike & Spiritual Warfare Work Against
God’s Testimony through Us…
– Nothing Can Thwart God’s Will… even the Opposition is Part of God’s Plan
– We Celebrate the Grace of God in Christ Upon us by Sharing that Grace with Others –
and the Lord is with us In and Through it All…
Isaiah 57:15 For I, the Lord, dwell in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and
humble in spirit, to restore the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the
Rom 15:5,6 Now may the God who gives endurance and encouragement grant you harmony with one
another in Christ Jesus, 6so that with one mind and one voice we may declare the glory of
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.