1 Thessalonians 3:1-13
– In the Writing of 1 Thessalonians Paul was Forced to Leave Thessalonica because of
Persecution… from Athens he sent Timothy to Check in on the Believers there that he so
1 Thes 3:1-3a Therefore when we could bear it no longer, we were willing to be left behind at
Athens alone, 2 and we sent Timothy, our brother and God’s coworker in the
gospel of Christ, to establish and exhort you in your faith 3 that no one be moved
by these afflictions…
– The Grace of God Moved Paul with Such Love for the Thessalonians that their Spiritual Well-
being was of Great Importance to Paul…
Do we care that deeply for the Spiritual Well Being of those around us (and apart from us)?
– Paul Knew that they Would Suffer and He wanted the Joy of the Lord in them as they Suffered…
1 Thes 3:3b,4 For you yourselves know that we are destined for this. 4 For when we were with
you, we kept telling you beforehand that we were to suffer affliction, just as it
has come to pass, and just as you know.
– For Your Consideration, we should Expect Affliction & no Trial we Face should be a Surprise…
Life as the Betrothed is Characterized by Tribulation…
– When does the Tribulation for Us End? as Long as we are in this world we will
John 16:33 I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you
will have tribulation. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
– Yet, fear not! No Worldly Tribulation can Overcome Us…
Rom 8:38,39 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present
nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all
creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our
1 Thes 3:5 For this reason, when I could bear it no longer, I sent to learn about your faith,
for fear that somehow the tempter had tempted you and our labor would be in
Are we Truly Concerned for the Spiritual Well-being of our Loved Ones?
Is our Concern merely Philosophical…
or do we act on our Concern for our Loved ones?
– When did we Last Ask Our Loved Ones
– How their Prayer Life is Going?
– How their walk with Lord is Going?
– How their time in the Word is Going?
– What the Lord is Doing in their lives?
– When did we Last Share with Our Loved Ones
– What we are praying about and how they can Pray for us?
– What we have recently Learned about from God’s Word?
– What the Lord is Doing in our life?
– How are you really doing? How can I help?
1 Thes 3:6,7 But now that Timothy has come to us from you, and has brought us the good
news of your faith and love and reported that you always remember us kindly and
long to see us, as we long to see you 7 for this reason, brothers, in all our distress
and affliction we have been comforted about you through your faith.
Rom 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
To What Degree do we Share our lives with our loved ones and share in the lives of our loved ones?
– Paul Celebrates God’s Grace with the Thessalonians. Together, they thank the Lord…
1 Thes 3:8-10 For now we live, if you are standing fast in the Lord. 9 For what thanksgiving
can we return to God for you, for all the joy that we feel for your sake before our
God, 10 as we pray most earnestly night and day that we may see you face to
face and supply what is lacking in your faith?
To What Degree do we Pray for our Loved Ones? How do we Pray for them?
1 Thes 3:11-13 Now may our God and Father Himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to
you 12 and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another
and for all, as we do for you, 13 so that He may establish your hearts blameless
in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all
– Paul Prays that the Lord make the Thessalonians more Loving
The Summary: Looking Out for Our Loved Ones
– we are to Serve them
– we are to Sacrifice our time, energy and effort for them
– we are to Share their Life with them
– we are to Share our Life with them
– we are to Pray for them
– we should Celebrate the Things of the Lord with them
– we are to Love them with the Love the Lord has given us
– we are to seek in prayer that the Lord make our Loved ones more Loving
All this is how we live in the world now as the Faithful Bride of Christ as we await His Calling
us Home or as we await His 2 nd coming
Eph 3:20,21 Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think,
according to the power at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in
Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.