1 Thessalonians 4:1-10
– The Church at Thessalonica was Healthy, yet still Paul Prays for them. He prays that they not
Only Continue to Walk in a Healthy Manner but that their Spiritual Health would Grow Even
1 Thes 4:1 Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as
you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are
doing, that you do so more and more.
– God, through Paul, is Saying that a Person’s Faith Walk is not a Fixed Thing – the Thessalonians
were Prospering – but that does not mean that they will necessarily Continue to Prosper…
– They needed to Continually Seek God’s Grace for Their Faith Walk… Day-by-Day
– Every Morning is a New Morning for God’s Grace to Change Us. It also is a new Morning to
Recommit to: Prayer; Seeking after God’s Direction for that Day &
Exerting Effort to Serve and Bless for that Day in His Power
– Each New Morning Starts a New Day to Seek after Seeing the Glory of God Anew through His
Word – a New Day to Seek After God’s Instructions for Living through His Word…
1 Thes 4:2 For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus.
– In the Next Block of Text, God the Holy Spirit, through Paul will Give us Instructions for Living
as the Bride of Christ. However, before we See God’s Instructions in 1 Thessalonians, We set the
stage through Hebrews 3, Matthew 7 and Ephesians 4 …
– The Main Principle from these verses is that… Our Faith Walk is Not Private
– Paul, in the Power of God the Holy Spirit, does not see the Faith Walk of the
Thessalonians as being Just Between them and God…
– Their Faith Walk was the Concern of Paul…
– We should be Concerned for the Faith Walk of our Loved Ones…
Heb 3:13,14a But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you
may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have come to share in
– Paul Understood the Command to Exhort his Brothers and Sisters. In Love, he Invaded the
Personal Lives of the Thessalonians doing so to be a Vessel of Blessing in their Lives…
– We are Commanded to be Active in the Spiritual Lives of Our Brothers and Sisters…
– Two Principles in Exhorting Each Other – We are Not to Judge, We are to Bless Others through
Matt 7:5 … first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the
speck out of your brother's eye.
Matt 7:1 Judge not, that you be not judged…
Eph 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for
building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
– As We Return to 1 Thessalonians, Paul is Going to Invade the People’s Privacy and Challenge
them in terms of their Conduct & Character…
– A Less than Comfortable Reality
– Not Only is our Faith Walk Not Private – Neither is our Conduct and Character…
– In the Corporate Body of Christ, we are Called to Hold Each Other Accountable – in
Love, to Right Conduct…
1 Thes 4:3-8 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual
immorality; 4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness
and honor 5 not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know
God; 6 that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the
Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly
warned you. 7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in
holiness. 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who
gives His Holy Spirit to you.
– This Does Not Make us the Moral Police for the World. But we are to Hold Each Other
Accountable in Love. We must exhort those in the Body of Christ that we have a Day-by-Day
Shared Faith Walk with.
– Paul Continues to Invest in the People’s Faith Walk and changes the Topic to Love in general.
Specifically, he challenges them to be even more Loving
1 Thes 4:9,10 Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for
you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another, 10 for that indeed is
what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you,
brothers, to do this more and more…
– We love with the Love of the Lord as he Instructs our Hearts by Grace
Romans 5:5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our
hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, because love comes from God.
The Practical Side
– Those Who are of the Bride of Christ do not have a Private Faith Walk…
– Our Walk with our Betrothed is Jointly Shared…
– Loving those around us means that we must deeply desire to be a Vessel of Blessing in
the Lord’s Hands to those Christians God has placed in our lives…
– The Goal is to hopefully aid in their Spiritual Growth
– Investing in Others and Invading Others Privacy takes Humility and a Proper heart
Attitude to do as Encouragement & Blessing…
– We need to prayerfully plan how to be a Blessing in this Regard
– We need to be open to our Loved Ones Invading our “Private” walk with the Lord in
their attempt to Exhort us, Encourage Us and Bless Us
Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will
strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.