Applying the Book of Hosea
– In Hosea Chapter 1 we Learn that…
– God, in general, relates to His People in that He is the Bridegroom and they are the Bride
– Ethnic Israel in the 730 BC Era were Unfaithful – Like Prostitutes
– God states that Ethnic Israel is not His people and He is not their God…
– this means Ethnic Israel does not Exist in a Saving Relationship with God
– Ethnic Israel is Not God’s Bride
– yet God has a Bride Saved by Grace – that Bride is under the One Head – Christ and is
called the Bride of Christ
Who is the Bride of Christ?
– The Bride of Christ Consists of All who are Saved for all Time
– this same group is also called the Elect, the Remnant, Spiritual Israel, those in the
Kingdom of God in Christ & Believers
– To Understand this Concept Better: the Ancient Hebrew Marriage Process is in view. This
Process was a 5 Step Process and is Very Connected to How we are Saved by Christ & Exist as
– The 5-Step Hebrew Marriage Process…
1) the Father Chooses a Bride for the Son
2) the Son then must Pay a Dowry Price to Purchase His Bride – at which Point she
becomes his Betrothed
3) the Bridegroom then Leaves his Betrothed and Goes to Prepare a Room in his Father’s
House for his Betrothed
4) the Bridegroom returns at a future and unannounced time
5) The bridegroom & his Family Escort the Bride to the Wedding Feast at the Father’s
Home where the Marriage is Finalized
– Hebrew Marriage Step 1: The Father’s Choice
Eph 1:4 He chose us before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and
blameless before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by
Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will
– Hebrew Marriage Step 2: Christ pays the Dowry Price
– to be Able to be in the Father’s House, we must be purified – for the Father’s house is in
Heaven and No Sin can Reside there…
– so the Dowry Price Christ Paid was Redeeming us on the Cross…
Rom 5:8 … while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
– Christ loses none of the Bride, redeeming & purifying all that He received from the Father
John 17:6 I do not pray for the world, but for those whom You have given me, for they are
Yours…. those who You have given me, I have kept, none of them is lost….
John 6:37 All that the Father gives me will come to me
– Now that we Have been Saved, We are the Betrothed, we belong to Christ – we have been
Titus 2:14 Christ gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for
Himself a people for His own possession
1 Cor 7:23 we were bought with a price…
– Hebrew Marriage Step 3: Christ Prepares a Room for Us
John 14:2,3 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you
that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I
will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
– We are Currently Awaiting our Bridegrooms Return and we are Currently His Betrothed. The
Book of Hosea is about Living in this World as the Betrothed…
What does it Mean to be Betrothed?
– In the Hebrew Culture Betrothal was as binding as Marriage…
– Once Betrothed, you are Already Married without Yet having Celebrated the Marriage at
the Wedding Feast…
– What we await: Marriage Steps 4&5: Christ Returns & the Marriage Feast of the Lamb…
Rev 19:7 Let us rejoice and exult and give Him the glory, for the marriage feast of the
Lamb has come…
– Where is the Bride Today?
– Some are in heaven, having lived and died in Christ
– Some are on earth now who are already saved…
– Some are on Earth Now who will be saved later
– Some have not yet been born…
– Where are we Now?
– On earth as the fullness of the Bride is being Assembled and we all await the Fullness of
the Bride being Brought in so we can Celebrate the Marriage Feast of the Lamb…
– When will the Bride/Betrothed be Completely Assembled?
– When the Last of those the Father Gave to the Son to be His Bride is Saved – then Christ
Returns with those already in Heaven and Meets those of His Bride on Earth & then
Eternity begins for us with the Marriage Feast of the Lamb…
– Where is the Bridegroom now?
– Reigning over the Universe at the Right Hand of the Father & reigning in our heart…
Rom 8:34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died. More than that,
who was raised who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes
2 Cor 13:5 … do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?
– Our Salvation & being the Bride of Christ is Modeled by the Hebrew Marriage Process
– We are Currently in Stage 3: we are Betrothed and await the Return of our Bridegroom
– Our Bridegroom will Return when the Fullness of His Bride is Brought in…
– He is “gone” now – but with us as He Reigns Everywhere, including in our Hearts
– When He does return, we will be with Him, either coming with Him from Heaven or
awaiting Him on Earth as He and those from Heaven Come
– We are His people and He is Our God – we are the Bride of Christ and we played no role
in being so saved that we should so love the Lord for what He has done in Purchasing us
that we should be moved with the desire to honor Him in Thought, Word and Deed