– Type and Shadow is where God Ordains Old Testament History to Point to something Bigger and
more Grand in the New Testament…
– Examples… the OT Sacrificial Lamb System; the OT 5-Part Marriage Process & the
OT Concept of the Temple…
– Temporal Type and Shadow
– Where God’s Grace to Ethnic Israel in the OT points to His Greater & Eternal Grace for
the Bride of Christ in the NT. An Example: Hosea 2:16-23…
– Grace for the Elect in Ethnic Israel is shown in Type and Shadow as the Lord preserves some
from Conquered Israel at the time of Hosea and gives them grace…
Hosea 2:16 And in that day, declares the LORD, you will call me ‘My Husband,’ and no
longer will you call me ‘My Baal.’
– God will move Some to No Longer be Idol Worshipers
Eze 36:25-27 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your
uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. 26 I will give you a
new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of
stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27And I will put my Spirit
within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.
Hosea 2:17 For I will remove the names of the Baals from her mouth, and they shall be
remembered by name no more.
– Why would the Lord do This?
Eze 36:22,23 It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for the sake of
my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you
came. 23 And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name, which has been
profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them. And the
nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Lord GOD, when through
you I vindicate my holiness before their eyes.
– This Grace to a Sinful People Then in Type and Shadow Enables us to Understand How and Why
we Receive Grace Ourselves…
Hosea 2:18 And I will make for them a covenant on that day with the beasts of the field, the
birds of the heavens, and the creeping things of the ground. And I will abolish the
bow, the sword, and war from the land, and I will make you lie down in safety.
– How are We Made to Lie Down in Safety?
– God, by Grace & because of His Mercy would make Everlasting Peace with the
Individuals who are under the One Head, Christ…
– this is Peace w/ God for a Spiritual People…not Geopolitical peace for an Ethnic
– Peace with God is Undeserved and Amazing…
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give
to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God
through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Col 3:15 And may the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called
in one body. And be thankful.
– We have Received Unmerited Favor through God’s Mercy and Grace… and God did it all with
no Contribution from us…
– Hosea 2:19,20 And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness
and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. 20 I will betroth you to me in
faithfulness. And you shall know the LORD.
And you shall know the LORD
– Does it say “I will make it possible for you to know the Lord”?
Eze 36:26,27 I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will
remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27And I
will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be
careful to obey my rules.
Hos 2:22,23a And the earth shall answer the grain, the wine, and the oil, and they shall answer
Jezreel, 23 and I will sow her for myself in the land…
– The Lord’s Great “Jezreel” – The Lord will Scatter His People all over the World to proclaim the
Mercy and Grace of God to all nations. This is the Lord Spreading His love into the World
Hosea 2:23b … And I will have mercy on No Mercy, and I will say to Not My People, ‘You
are my people’; and he shall say, ‘You are my God.’”
– Salvation by Grace in Type and Shadow in Hosea…
– Points to we, the Bride of Christ, and teaches our Hearts that we are His Betrothed and
that we should fall to our Knees and Thank our Triune God…
1 Thess 5:23,24 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your
whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our
Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it.